Wikipedia says this: In herbal medicine, an herbal tonic is used to help restore, tone and invigorate systems in the body or to promote general health and well-being. An herbal tonic is a solution or other preparation made from a specially selected assortment of the kinds of plants known as herbs.
Why did I start doing herbal tonics?
After cancer treatment, I wanted a gentle food/plant based method for detoxing and rebuilding my body on a cellular level.
Who are herbal tonics good for?
Anyone who wants to heal their body in a gentle and natural way. Find someone in your area who understands herbal medicine. If you are taking prescription medications, I would talk to your doctor about possible interactions. I am not an herbalist. I created these recipes based on the herbs and foods that were recommended to me by my practitioner.
I wanted to share some of my favorite recipes that I have created over the last year. They continually evolve and change as I try new ingredients. But many of the basics stay the same. You can try mine or create your own by using herbs that are suitable for your needs.
Balance My Hormones Smoothie
1 tsp maca powder
1 tsp passion flower powder
1 tsp oat straw powder
1 tsp raw cacao powder
1/2 ripe banana
1 tbsp hemp seeds
1 tbsp goji berries
6-8oz of horsetail tea
1. Blend all together. I use an 8oz cup from Magic Bullet. Perfect size for one serving.
2. Pour into small stainless steel sauce pan and warm over low heat.
While its warming, add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon of black-strap molasses
A splash of vanilla extract.
Sprinkle some cayenne. .
Mix slowly as it warms. Don’t let it get too hot!
3. Pour into your favorite mug and drink it up while its warm. Herbs metabolize better warm.
Maca has gained a reputation for helping balance hormones and reverse hypothyroidism. It is an endocrine adaptogen, meaning that it does not contain any hormones, but rather it contains the nutrients necessary to support normal hormone production.
Passion flower is a natural aromatase inhibitor which helps to remove excessive xenoestrogens.
Oat straw is high in silica which aids in the production of healthy cells of your skin, hair and nails.
Raw cacao is for taste and is very high in antioxidants.
Hemp seeds are amazing. According to Dr Axe they are:
- Excellent 3:1 balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which promote cardiovascular health.
- High in gamma linolenic acid (GLA), an essential omega-6 fatty acid found in borage oil and egg yolks that has been proven to naturally balance hormones.
- “Perfect protein” not only containing all 20 amino acids, but also each of the 9essential amino acids that our bodies cannot produce.
- Rich in soluble and un-soluble fiber which naturally cleanses the colon and reduces sugar cravings
Goji berries are amazing little superfruits that contain natural anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal compounds. Their powerful antioxidant properties and polysaccharides help to boost the immune system.
Extra virgin coconut oil has a lot of hormone precursors like pregnenolone. You can take coconut and convert it to cholesterol and then convert it to pregnenolone.
Horsetail tea high in silica and tastes good.
You can also try some adaptogenic teas like gynostemma, reishi mushroom, chaga mushroom.
I will add more recipes when I can. Let me know if you have any questions!